Director of Depositary
Reports to: Managing Director, Luxembourg
The candidate will lead Langham Hall Luxembourg’s Depositary business which provides services to real estate, private equity, and private debt and infrastructure funds.
Due to the nature of take-on and on-going monitoring work required there will be a significant contact with other part of the Langham Hall group (e.g. Fund Administration and AIFM businesses) and with clients and advisers.
The candidate will be expected to interface at a senior level with our clients in order to problem solve and oversee the delivery of our services. They will also lead and motivate a professional team working to the highest standards.
The individual will grow the business by the development and monitoring of existing client work and will also oversee the introduction of new clients to the team, being involved with pitches and participating in marketing events. The individual will be ultimately responsible for all aspects of team delivery planning, and resolving technical issues. The business has growth consistently since establishment and significant further growth is expected.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Primary contact for clients with frequent in-person meetings at the clients’ premises.
- Take ownership of a portfolio of clients and customer relationships; devise and implement policies, procedures and checklists.
- Devise and undertake detailed new client take on and risk assessments.
- Cash flow monitoring for all Funds.Responsibility for high level reconciliations, analytical reviews and substantive testing required for all Fund’s bank accounts.
- Responsibility for oversight of thorough reconciliation of all
- Safekeeping and verification of assets – review teams records to ensure that appropriate steps have been taken to verify that assets exist and are owned by the Fund, documenting steps taken and evidence obtained to support conclusions reached and maintaining an up to date inventory of all assets held by the Fund.
- Ongoing monitoring and oversight of the Fund’s and Fund Manager’s controls and procedures to ensure that these are acceptable and are being adhered to. This will involve having sensitive conversations with our clients and developing an intimate knowledge of their business.
- A key element in all the above will be the set up and maintenance of detailed files documenting all steps taken when undertaking the above duties as this will be our only protection where we are subject to unlimited liability if we are at fault.
- Responsible for team planning, monitoring deadlines and coaching and developing junior staff members.
- Contribute recommendations for improving the organisation's operations.
In addition to the duties listed above, the candidate may be requested to perform other ad hoc work from time to time.
Technical knowledge / skills required:
- Senior level experience in auditing in the Luxembourg real estate / private equity industry.
- Ability to think laterally about the practical application of the AIFMD, particularly in relation to the verification of a diverse portfolio of assets.
- Ability to work in a small company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
- Ability to plan effectively, with strong deadline orientation
- The candidate will hold a professional accounting qualification at an appropriate level (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) or have equivalent skills and experience.