Fund accountant (1-2 years PQE)
This is a great opportunity for a driven and talented individual to make a real difference as part of a dedicated and professional team. The Fund Accountant will be part of a team providing accounting and financial reporting services for established and new real estate and private equity funds.
The candidate will service the needs of a portfolio of private equity, real estate clients and associated SPVs, and will liaise with the CFO and finance team of the funds, third parties (including auditors) and any other external advisors necessary to ensure all issues are resolved and deadlines are met.
The candidate will be working in a team of accountants and part qualified accountants servicing a varied portfolio of real estate and private equity funds and SPVs.
In addition, the candidate will also be involved in the take-on and setting-up of new clients coming into the team.
There will be a number of interesting and varied ad hoc projects.
This is a position best suited to a commercial yet technically minded person who is motivated by the challenge of providing technical and operational solutions to our clients.
Duties and responsibilities:
Managing client relationships and accounting responsibilities
- To maintain and develop strong, lasting relationships with Langham Hall clients;
- To be one of the primary contacts for clients with daily contact and regular in-person client meetings;
- Take ownership of your portfolio of clients and customer relationships;
- Implementing policies, procedures and checklists where necessary;
- Compile and analyse financial information underlying the financial statements, including the treatment of business transactions;
- Oversee preparation of financial reporting both at asset and fund level, including supporting files and review work produced by team;
- Preparation of consolidations;
- Bank debt covenant reporting;
- Production of monthly/quarterly NAVs;
- VAT reporting;
- Involvement in monitoring deadlines and coaching and developing junior staff members;
- Cashflow forecasting work;
- Plan year end audit including audit files and liaise with external auditors and clients;
- Prepare statutory financial statements in accordance with IFRS or UK GAAP;
- Contribute recommendations for improving the organisation's operations;
- Organise take-on and set-up of new clients; and
- Work effectively with the senior members of the Accounting team to ensure smooth transition of work sourced by them into the business.
Assisting with the internal operations of Langham Hall Jersey
- Ensuring all regulatory and statutory reporting deadlines and filings are achieved;
- To provide support and guidance to more junior team members;
- Assisting with drafting of procedures and other internal documents; and
- Assisting to build the general profile of Langham Hall in Jersey;
In addition to the duties listed above, the Fund Accountant may be requested to perform any other ad hoc duties or projects as requested by the management team.
Technical knowledge / skills required:
- Strong technical accounting skills, ideally gained within real estate funds or an asset management environment;
- A full understanding of UK GAAP and IFRS and other relevant accounting standards, and related preparation of statutory financial statements and auditor liaison;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedures manuals and performance measurement reports at asset and fund level;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations for which there may be little precedence;
- Some experience of effectively presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers and especially clients;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Confident and proactive approach and professional attitude to work;
- Highly organised with good time management and planning skills;
- Experience in coaching staff;
- Knowledge of Sun Systems and/or Yardi is an advantage but not essential;
- A deep understanding of the agreements associated with private equity and real estate structures and interpretation of terms within including LPA, debt documentation, sale and purchase agreements, leases etc.;
- Ability to mentor, coach and carry out on-the-job training with staff members;
- Internal systems, controls and procedures – training will be given on the internal applications used and the job holder will become familiar with the controls and procedures in place; and
- Word processing, Internet software, E-Mail, Database software and Excel Spreadsheets.
Experience / Qualifications
- The candidate will be ACA / ACCA / CIMA qualified with minimum of 1-2 years PQE.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the environment is moderate.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.