Reports to: Managing Director
This is a great opportunity for a driven and talented individual to make a real difference as part of a dynamic and professional team. The Executive Director will assist the Managing Director and other Executive Directors, to focus on the optimisation of the day-to-day operations of the business and all legislative and regulatory responsibilities.
- The candidate will have overall responsibility for a team of accountants and part qualified accountants servicing a varied portfolio of real estate and private equity funds and SPVs. The candidate will also be required to act as a director on the boards of certain key client entities.
- There will be a focus on business development and marketing strategies for the Jersey business, including initiatives to raise the profile of the business in the Channel Islands.
- In addition, the candidate will also be responsible for the take-on and setting-up of certain key new clients coming into the team.
- There will be a number of interesting and varied ad hoc projects.
- This is a position best suited to a commercial yet technically minded person who enjoys leading a team of professionals and is motivated by the challenge of providing technical and operational solutions to our clients.
Duties and responsibilities:
Managing key client relationships and administation:
- To maintain and develop strong, lasting relationships with certain key Langham Hall clients with regular in-person client meetings
- Assisting with the effective implementation of LHFMJ’s business plan;
- Responsible for coaching and developing other senior staff members; and
- Acting as an authorised signatory for Langham Hall and client entities.
Assisting with the internal operations of LHFMJ:
- To effectively recruit employees and manage staffing levels within the business;
- To manage the performance of the accounting team;
- To provide support and guidance to team members;
- Drafting of procedures and other internal documents;
- Effective leadership and management of Jersey employees including workload planning and performance management where needed;
- Leading monthly management and senior management meetings;
- Drafting of infrastructure procedures and other internal documents;
- Sourcing, recruitment and on boarding new employees including satisfactory pre-screening;
- Sourcing other services as may be required; and
Business development, marketing and new business:
- Conducting business development activities including attendance at networking events;
- Review/upgrade BD capabilities including training, materials, sales meetings, tracking and follow-ups;
- Assisting to build the general profile of Langham Hall in Jersey;
- Preparing proposals / quotes and supporting information for the take on of new clients;
- Providing support as may be required to the new business process;
- Work effectively with other members of the senior management team or other jurisdictions to ensure smooth transition of work sourced by them into the business; and
- Build and look for new ways to improve the general profile of Langham Hall in Jersey
- Participating in the business risk committee;
- Liaison with the JFSC and other regulatory bodies be they in relation to the permits or consents issued to the funds or the functionaries or in relation to statutory filings etc. for fund related vehicles e.g., Jersey incorporated companies;
- Monitor the requirements of the JFSC and ensure the business infrastructure complies; and
- Maintain the appropriate balance between mitigating the risks of the business and expanding the business
- Overseeing and co-ordinating projects as required.
Technical knowledge / skills required:
- The candidate will need to be a professional, motivated individual with experience leading and managing a team. They will be expected to build up their professional network and ensure maximum chance of developing business in Jersey.
- Strong technical accounting skills, ideally gained within real estate funds or an asset management environment;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations for which there may be little precedence
- Ability to effectively plan, develop and implement strategy for operational management and to meet agreed operational performance plans within agreed budgets and timescales.
- Ability to lead, mentor, coach and carry out on-the-job training with staff members.
- Familiarity with statutory requirements and corporate governance matters, including conduct at board meetings.
- Some experience of effectively presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers and especially clients;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Confident and proactive approach and professional attitude to work;
- Highly organised with good time management and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from peers, senior management and especially clients.
- Internal systems, controls and procedures – training will be given on the internal applications used and the Executive Director will become familiar with the controls and procedures in place.
- Word processing, Internet software, E-Mail, Database software and Excel Spreadsheets.
Experience / Qualifications:
- Ideally 10 or more years of demonstrable management experience within financial services, with an understanding of company secretarial and also cash management processes and systems. A heavy emphasis on delivery to clients is required in order to identify and plug any gaps in the operating platform.
- The candidate will be required to hold a professional accounting qualification at an appropriate level (ACA, ACCA or equivalent)
- Graduate with a proven academic record
- Ideally a JFSC or other regulator “approved” individual
Management / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Act as a role model and provide support and guidance to Client Directors and Associate Directors
- Direct line management responsibility of the head of the accounting tea
- Supervision, coaching and mentoring of senior staff members
- Managing Operational Team workloads and ensuring that objectives are met
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the environment is moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.